Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Caught on Tape


So this is my process. I spend a good deal of time working on setting up a still life. It either comes together quickly or it it may take a while to get the composition right. When painting, I usually work from life using a view finder but on complicated set-ups I take a digital image just to get the initial placement of shapes. However, the image and set-up are rarely at the same angle so after my initial drawing from the image, I start changing it to look like my set-up. This drawing took me a while and it might change when I come back to it and start painting. After the initial drawing, I paint the colors as I see them in my still life.

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting, Robin. Is your canvas toned with red? It looks as though you then drew in and painted with white. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Virginia, yes the canvas was toned with cad red and drawn in with the same. I then wiped off places for highlights with a Q-tip dipped in turp so when I added white paint it would be clean and bright.

    ReplyDelete