Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Deep Purple Vase and Tulips


Here's a new image taken with my phone. My old point and shoot may need to be retired.


I'm finished with this painting. It's more vibrant than this image shows. It was a challenging painting, but it turned out as I had hoped. As for the painting process, I learned an important lesson; I have to have a clear color plan before I begin each day. If I don't, then I can't paint. I'd paint and wipe it off too many times. After a while I'd walk away. Other artists don't paint like me, I know; I guess there are as many different approaches as there are painters.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know more about how you approach a painting in terms of strategy. I think you have the secret sauce and I want to learn as much as I can. I know you block in and then work from object to object but how do you create a clear color plan? Oh and this is Jo. I know it says it is from my husband Tom. I don't know how to change that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question. Are you asking how I decide on a color plan before I start a painting? I tend to like warm focal points and cooler secondary objects. But, that's because I often paint fruit and dishes. It's also what I have to work with. I know in advance what to pair the fruit with for a certain color combination.

      When I paint, I can't put down my first impression of a color. It will often be too light or dark or cool or warm. Of course I see the color family, like oh, that's in the red family. I think about the values and I usually get it right but will have to push them darker so as to create a better appearance. It's the temperature of the color that's the trickiest for me. I work on my palette and not on my canvas for some variations. I'll hold up my palette knife to the canvas and check to see if I got it.

      It sounds straightforward but it seldom is.

      Delete