Thursday, August 2, 2012

Two Mugs and Orange Slice



I've been trying a few new things lately and in doing so have learned what I like and what to keep. My last four paintings were more gray and I think a little too muddy. I typically use a palette knife to pick up and mix my colors but lately I've been using my brush. I don't think I've gotten the hang of it. When I mix my colors with a palette knife each color is more distinct and clean and I like that. What I also found helpful is to mix my colors right next to each other on my palette. In this way I see color relationships before I put anything on the canvas. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the simplification and solidity of your work. I agree about the brush mixing and palette knife mixing. I mix both ways but I have a tendency when mixing with the palette knife to feel obligated to use up all of the mixed color...not always a good idea for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I have that tendency too. I have to be mindful when mixing paint with my palette knife to mix smaller piles or just a small test sampler. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete